Re: [pct-l] bear advice on JMT

>But as far as bear boxes are concerned, I was not aware that they were
present
>north of Woods Creek.  Thus northern 2/3 of trail remain problematic.
Thanks,

You are correct. There are NO bearboxes in the Inyo NF wildernes sections
of the JMT. The Inyo has removed the few that were there as a matter of
policy. You can complain to the HQ in Bishop, but Good Luck getting them to
change their minds.

SE/KI NP was considering removing the BearBoxes too. They listed it as one
of the options in their request for input for their new Wilderness Plan
(still pending).

The only bear boxes I know of in Yosemite NP are at the Tuolomne Meadows
Campground. There are a couple of "Bear Cables" in Lyell Canyon that seem
to work OK, as long as you hang your food properly.

A listing of bearbox locations can be found at
http://www.gorp.com/pcta/bearbox.txt

Have Fun

--
Brick Robbins                     Life is a Journey, not a Destination
mailto:brick@fastpack.com        http://www.fastpack.com/brick