[pct-l] PUR filters

The latest water filter thread jogged my memory a bit. If anyone is
planning on using a Pur Hiker or other filters for that matter, make sure
and carry or have in your drift box that little capsule of silicone
lubricant that came with the filter. After a month or so of use the filter
can get tough to pump. Last year our filter seemed to be clogged but all
that was needed was a bit of lubricant on the rubber pump O-ring. After
that it worked like new again. I tried a number of trail fixes like
sunscreen, olive oil, lip balm etc. but nothing works like waterproof
silicon lube.

Now for my paid endorsement. PUR has my vote for excellent service. (I
won't comment on whether or not it's the best filter).  When you call their
800 number all you need to do is say "I'm a PCT hiker". After that you are
treated like a king. We had to replace our filter cartridge 5 times last
year (the payment). Pur will express mail the replacement cartridge to your
next drop - no charge. When a mouse chewed though our outlet hose and stole
the "acorn" pre-filter, Pur sent us a new one - no questions asked. They
sent us a new capsule of silicone lubricant and rubber O-ring when we
requested them.

I don't know what kind of guarantee other filter manufacturers have, but
with any filter you'll need to compare the guarantee along with the
performance and longevity of the filter element. Here's their number to put
in your trail notebook:

PUR: 1-800-845-PURE

Mark Dixon