Re: [pct-l] bear advice on JMT

Bob,

   In regard to bear advice on the JMT, We hiked the
JMT/PCT in Sept. of '97. Starting at Tuolumne meadows
to Mt. Whitney. The hike took us 16 days and we didn't
see any bears.
   What we planned  was to make our camp  high above
tree line and not stay overnight at those areas were lots
of hikers camp and were bears frequent such as rae lakes
to name one. We didn't use bear proof  containers and
we did hang our food the few of times we camped below
treeline. The other plus to camp above treeline is you get
to see some great sunsets and rises.
   This seem to okay for our trek, but theres no guarantee
I've seen many bears while hiking, and I do enjoy seeing
them, but I don't like trying to keep them away from my
food in the middle of the night.

Jeff