[pct-l] Re: Expanding Foot Theorem

Now for something completely different..............

I started the trail last year with a size 13 foot. Like many of you I was
quite concerned with my feet getting larger. Since size 13 is the largest
size commonly available from most shoe manufacturers, I was wondering where
I would get size 14's ...15's.

My feet did not change size at all last year. I started from Campo with
13's and ended in Manning Park with size 13's. ( two different shoe
manufacturers). My experience is that Montrail and Merrell size 13's are
larger than Asolo and Nike size 13's. Montrail and Merrels fit my feet
similarly. Vasque size 13's are on the large end too, but don't fit my feet
at all.

I had some foot problems just prior to the hike and I was able to talk to a
podiatrist about increase in foot size. My feet had gone from size 12 to
size 13 in the previous year (I had worn 12's since 9th grade). The
podiatrist told me that it is common for someone in their mid 30's to have
their foot size increase, I beleive he attributed the increase to the arch
flattening out. To fix my foot problem I had a custom orthotic made.
Regardless of that, my feet were quite tender every morning on the hike.
One of the most memorable things from last year is site of everyone taking
those first few steps in the morning, OW !!!. My feet were quite tender
too, in fact it took about 1.5 months for the tenderness to go away after
the hike. My knees........a different story.

THE LARCH !

In addition, my hiking partner Jim did not experience an increase in foot
size, neither did others I hiked with. In fact, I can't think of anyone
who's feet enlarged, at least they didn't talk about it (I beleive it
happens, I'm just relaying my observations). I know of two people who
anticipated foot enlargement and ended up having shoes sent to them they
could not wear.

What's the solution? It may be different for everyone. I would say that if
you start out with well made, lightweight low-top hiking shoes they should
easily last (not wear out) till K. Meadows. If they feel too small
somewhere along the way just mail order the next size up of the same brand
and have them express mailed to your next resupply point. For the Sierras,
I mail ordered some lightweight high tops and had them sent to Tehachapi
where I was able to try them on in the Post Office (these were the same as
some boots I had tried on back home). My plan was to send them back from
there if they didn't fit. I would have a larger pair sent to Lone Pine or
Independence. Luckily they fit fine and I had no problem.  Further north
you can buy shoes in S. Lake Tahoe and further on in Mt. Shasta City (near
Castella) and further on in Ashland, Oregon. Then there's Bend, Portland,
Seattle etc.....

Here is my final tally of shoes worn last year:

Campo to K. Meadows - Merrel lightweight low-tops
K. Meadows to Castella - Merrel lightweight high-tops
Castella to Ashland - same original pair of Merrel lightweight low-tops
Ashland to White Pass - new pair of Merrel low-tops (the old style Merrel
Trails $35)
White Pass to Manning - Montrail lightweight high tops (on sale in Seattle)

The last pair of shoes I wore are still in excellent shape. I still have
the Merrel Trails but they're a bit trashed. Whew!! what else can I say
about shoes. My hiking partner Jim Horan wore a single pair of Vasque
Sundowners all the way from Campo to Manning!! (one for the record books)
Those were worn to the nub when we finished.

I didn't mean to go on and on, but I realize I did learn something about
shoes last year. Everyone I hike with had a different shoe philosophy and a
different way of dealing with shoe related problems when they arose.
Anyway, got any questions let me know.

Mark Dixon