Re: [pct-l] Questions

At 08:12 AM 2/8/99 -0700, Margo Chisholm wrote:

>1.  Is there ever water at Pioneer Mail in April?

The water there is from a tank, and the USFS has not displayed a pattern of
when they fill it. The last couple of years they were pleading povertry and
filled it irregularly. Call the PCTA from Campo, they should know. There is
water just across HWY S1 about 3 miles south of Pioneer Mail Picinic Area
near the GATR road at a place called (but not on the map) Penny Pines. There
is trailhead parking there. Cross the road (S1), and you will see a horse
trough. There is a faucet just past it.

98: There were several watersources in the start of the first 25 mile
"waterless" section in early may. Last 2/3 was waterless. So was the next 23
miles (to Barrell spring if I rember correctly).

>2.  Anyone have a sense of what kind of snowpack level is necessary for
>the springs in Section 1 to be running in late April?

No snowpack in Section A. Everything is runnoff/groundwater. A lot will
depend on what happens between now and then. It has been a VERY dry winter
in San Diego.

98: Everything was running.

>3. Is there an Ok place to camp within a mile or so of the fountain at
>Snow Canyon Rd?

Not really. There are tollerable places to camp in the desert brush, but
nothing I would rate as OK. Plus I think that the Snow Creek Water District
caretaker would have a s**t fit if she found a someone camping along "her"
road. Hike the extra 4 miles down to the town of "West Palm Springs Village"
and stay at the Middleton's cabin instead. They have invited hikers to stay
there for the last several years. They also set out water along the trail
(they live about 50 yds from the trail) near their house for hikers to use.
They live about 1/4 mile north from the I-10 bridge. True trail angels.

98(++): You can camp before the road. There's one really flat ridge
"halfway" down the switchbacks. No water even in 98, but impossible to miss.
If you pass it, then there isn't much to choose from. It's more than a mile
(maybe 5??) before the road.
Same area: In 98 it was water by the parking lot/tailhead north of the
interstate. Also in the canyon a couple of miles after the windmills.

>4.  Where did you carry ice axe and instep crampons (or whatever you used)?

Ice Axe needed in So-Cal from near Red Taquitze peak (map B9) to Black
Mountain Road (map B10), Mt Baden Powel (map D5) and from Trail Pass north
(Map G13 on). Your milage may vary.

>5.  Do you really need 3 gallons of water when leaving Elizabeth Lake
>Canyon Rd. or can you pretty much count on Upper Shake Campground and/or
>Atmore Meadows?

When I was there in 95 there is NO piped water in Upper Shake campground.
The California Clean Water act imposed strict testing requirements for
potable water. Since the water in the campgrounds cannot be tested that
often, they took out the pipes in most of them in the Sierra Pelona (I was
told that just labeling it _non-potable_ is not legal). I found water in the
creek below the campground

98: Also went down to the campground. No piped water, but the stream was
running. It's STEEP and FAR. In 98 (after carrying water up again) I found
(the same) stream running well half a mile along the trail. Guess that's
pretty unusual though.

>6.  Does Jack Fair appreciate being notified of approximate arrival
>dates at his place. Do you knock on his door to let him know you're
>there or leave him be?

Dunno. Didn't stay there.

98(++): Stayed there. You can get water even if he isn't home. Sign on the
fence. No need to give notice. Great guy.

>7.  Has the BLM put in a water source near Cameron Overpass yet?

I dont' think there was one there in 95, but I resupplied there, so I didn't
look very hard.

Hope this helps.

 --
Brick Robbins                    Life is a Journey, not a Destination
mailto:brick@fastpack.com        http://www.fastpack.com/brick