[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #682

Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 16:35:06 -0800
From: "Jeffrey James (Office)" <jjames@microsoft.com>
Subject: [pct-l] 7-10 days in WA

I'm looking for a 7-10 day backpacking trip in Washington to take with my
dad this summer.  Last year, we did the Wonderland trail.  This year, I'm
considering the PCT.  I'd like to do a one-way trip, but with just two of us
the car situation would be wierd (unless we can find someone looking to do
the reverse trip).

Howdy Jeffrey.

FWIW,
In addition to the first two suggestions, I would like to add the trip I did
last summer with my dad.  My dad started at Crystal Mt. and hiked to White
Pass where I joined him.  We then hiked together to the south end of Mt.
Adams.  We also stashed a food cache at a forest road in the middle (next to
an Native American reservation) It took us 8 days, where my dad hiked for a
total of 11 days.  (could be done quicker but I'm slow)
I thought it was a great trip, highlights were the section around Mt. Adams
and the Goat Rocks Wilderness.  However, logistics were difficult, Snoqualmie
to/from Stevens would be much easier since the bus does run from both ends.
(but I hear it can be one of the more busy sections)  My fathers says his
favorite sections (which he has done just about all of the Washington PCT at
this point) are Stevens to Chelan (or just to the Hot Springs) and Rainy Pass
to Manning.  This summer I will be doing one of those two sections, I haven't
decided yet.  We also are pondering the transportation situation and a
possible food cache issue as well.  I'd be interested in what you find out
from your research as well!

Laurel