Cc:            "'pct-l@majordomo.hack.net'" <pct-l@majordomo.hack.net>
From:          "Jeffrey J. Olson" <jjolson@u.washington.edu>
Date:          Mon, 08 Feb 1999 16:49:34 -0600
Subject:       Re: [pct-l] 7-10 days in WA

"Jeffrey James (Office)" wrote:

> I'm looking for a 7-10 day backpacking trip in Washington to take with my
> dad this summer.  Last year, we did the Wonderland trail.  This year, I'm
> considering the PCT.

I would recommend the hike from Stevens Pass on Hwy 2 to
Stehekin on Lake Chelan.  This is about 96 miles or so, through
some very rugged and beautiful country.  You can take the bus
from Seattle to Stevens Pass, hike the PCT to the road above
Stehekin, take the bus to the ferry dock, take the ferry to the
town of Chelan, walk the four miles into town, or take a taxi to
the bus station, and back to Seattle.  There is a bus tunnel
underneath downtown Seattle where you can catch a bus to the
airport.  If you call Greyhound in advance, it's not a big deal,
from what I've heard.

If you wanted to hike 7 - 10 miles a day, the trip from Stevens
to Snoqualmie Pass is absolutely stunning, 75 miles, depending
on how fast you hike.  Bus service from Snoqualmie Pass is good,
with three busses a day stopping on their way to Seattle.  The
stunning part is the last half of the trip, heading south.

Jeffrey Olson
Seattle, WA...