Re: [pct-l] Tuna Can Alcohol Stove Design

In a message dated 2/5/99 12:29:24 PM EST, mkavanau@earthlink.net writes:

<< I'd like to receive a drawing of the alcohol stove, thanks.  I don't know
whi*ch
 format (.jpg or .bmp) would be best.  Perhaps you could attach both.

I've sent the .bmp version to you (and others) in a separate note.  Some
people (not all) have had trouble downloading the .jpg version.

<< Do the drawings show how the wick is installed?  I must have missed that
part of
 the thread as I'm having trouble visualizing that part of the stove.

The wick is shown in the drawing.  It's fiberglass insulation, wrapped around
the inside wall of the burner and held in place with metal screen.  Make it
the full height of the can wall and 1/8 to 3/16 inch thick.

<< Another question:  does the windscreen fit into the pot for storage?  It
sounds
 like it is too large... if so, how do you carry it to avoid crushing it?

It could be folded or wrapped around your ensolite pad.  Mine won't fit inside
the pot, but if you used a tall pot??

 <<Another question (sorry!):  how does the fuel usage compare to a white gas
stove; i.e., do you need to carry more or less than for a conventional stove?

I don't think alcohol has as many calories per ounce as white gas, so you
would have to carry more fuel IF you used the stove the same way.

&