[pct-l] Mount Washington Trip & NE training hikes

Hello everyone!

(Not directly related to PCT ... since it's east coast & all,
but since I'm considering it training for PCT 99, I'd thought
I'd share what I've been up to with everyone.)

I climbed Mount Washington on Saturday!
(I know 6000 ft is nothing for you westerners ... but it's our
biggest hill over here.)

"Mount Washington, 6288 ft., is the highest peak in the northeast. The
frequent combination of cold temperature and high wind prevalent on the
summit, especially in winter, has earned for Mount Washington
the title, "home of the world's worst weather". Though, on a good day, the
summit offers amazing views of the White Mountains region.
We will ascend the mountain via the Lion's Head winter trail which is
non-technical, but still very steep and possibly icy, hence good
mountaineering skills, including proficiency with ice axe and crampos will be
neccessary."

The trip was great! We woke at 3am Saturday morning, and were at
the trailhead & hiking by 5:30 am. Started hiking in the dark,
with gorgeous view of the starts & some pretty moonlight. The sky
slowly lit with beautiful colors & cast a orange/yellow/pink shade
of light onto snowy mount washington as we began the day.
(beaufitully backlit with a blue sky) Winds were not bad at all and the
weather was very kind to us. It was partly cloudy all day but we (myself &
seven other people with MITOC) got many great views anyway.

I even got to practice self arrest w/ my ice axe and had to use it "for
real" while glissading on the way down. I hit a very steep spot on the trail
with many trees around & had to use self arrest to prevent
crashing into trees at high speed.

Regarding training trips in the NE:
I looks (tentatively) as if Snoop (snoop@erols.com), Strangebird
(JCol979837@aol.com) and myself (rebecca_pct@usa.net) are going on a wkend
training hike in the white mountainson the wkend of March 5 - 7.
Unless, we hear that other people want to go & other dates would be
better for them. We can take this off line & if anyone wants to join us ...
please email one of us.

Thanks,

Rebecca
rebecca_pct@usa.net