[pct-l] disharmony

To the Pacific Crest Trail discussion group,

Craig Smith is my real name, and what is written below is only my opinion.

I signed on to this list to learn what I could about the Pacific Crest
Trail, to learn from people who had hiked it or portions of it, to learn
from other backpackers' experiences, on and off the PCT, and when I could,
to give out meager advice and help.  I have read some mighty good posts on
this list and have learned some neat stuff. I respect everyone here for
their interests and accomplishments.

In the past few weeks, I've been saddened by the disharmony that now exists
on the list.  There has been too much anger and caustic commentary.  Just my
opinion, but perhaps the aims of this group would be better served if the
parties involved in this dispute would check their anger and defensiveness
"at the door," and choose to ignore, for the moment, what has been written
in the recent, as well as the distant, past.  It takes just as much
fortitude, just as much emotional work, to be civil in a community of souls
with a common interest, as it does to present a defensive, if not angry,
posture, with the result being more harmonious.

In any community, disagreement is unavoidable, but civility is imperative if
the community is to survive and progress.  Or, the acrimony could get so
invasive and infective that the group gets "sick."  I've bid sad farewells
to such "sick" discussion groups and forums before, and it has not done much
to bolster my faith in the inherent goodness of people.

Let's be civil, if not friends.  If any flames or baits are forthcoming,
please send them to me privately at csmith@lib.drury.edu.

A backpacker, a human being (imperfect one at that), and a man interested in
the best this list has to offer,
Craig Smith