[pct-l] Re: Blisters -- OPTIONAL READING!

We aren't Podiatrist, but we play one on TV!

If your feet are soft at the start of your hike, they have to build up
callusoues at all the friction points -- hence the possibility of getting
blisters.  Once your feet are toughtened up, you are not necessarily home
free either.  The callouses themselves can even cause friction to the tissue
underneath it and create deep tissue trauma.  Callouses can also develop
cracked or opened tissue called lesions.

Our current phyilosophy on foot care:

	1.  buy lightweight trail shoes and replace the inserts
		with	Superfeet

	2.  wear new shoes at home until they are borken in

	3.  wear liners with your socks

	4.  treat all hot spots IMMEDIATELY -- NOT AT THE LUNCH BREAK, WATER
		SOURCE, NEXT BOULDER -- BUT IMMEDIATELY!

	5.  keep socks as clean and washed as possible and change often --
		turning socks inside out can help

	6.  try relacing shoes in different ways to change pressure points on
		hot spots

	7.  if need be try shoe surgery *aka Ray Jardines' technique

	8.  file down callouses using an emery board or sandpaperand keep
		toenails clipped VERY short

	9.  wash feet off at night and cover with vasaline (Ms. Farrar said it
		penetrates ALL tissues and beats anything else currently out on
		the market -- cheaper too!) Pat carried an extra pr of socks
		just for this!

	10.  we generally wear sandals in town to let our feet dry out -- if
		your feet are too dry when you get to town you might want to
		keep your boots on to prevent any additional drying out.

	11.  during breaks and at night -- elevate your feet to keep the
		swelling down

	12.  drain blisters when they are pea sized and filled with fluid to
prevent them from bursting open.  We used a needle to pull cotton thread
from one side to the other of the blister -- leaving the thread in the
blister!. The thread acts as a wick, pulling the fluid out of the blister.
Cut the thread leaving long ends so it can be pulled through the blister
later. Using tape, make an X over the blister (not on the thread) to hold
the thread in place.  Don't remove tape until the fuild is all gone.

	13.  like everything else, hydration & electrolites play a key role
		in blister prevention

There is an excellent Podiatrist in Tahoe -- Patricia Ferrar.  She spent
almost 1  1/2 hours with me during her lunch break.  Took X-rays, cut
callouses down, removed some of the loose toe nails that were ready to fall
off  (I lost all of my toe nails -- some twice!), creamed my feet and
bandaged them.  Less than $100 -- she even sent the bill to my insurance CO!

Happy Feet -- Happy Trails -- Walt & Pat