[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #677

> Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 23:29:45 -0800
> From: Jonathan Ley <leyj@earthlink.net>
> Subject: [pct-l] pasta sauces
>
> Anyone have some good ideas for sprucing up pasta on the trail?

Try those tubes of sun-dried tomato paste, pesto, or garlic paste.  We
found them in most of the larger stores along the trail (usually with the
canned tomatoes).  Kind of a nice change.  Also, parmesan cheese makes
pasta so much better, even if just used alone (well of course with the
pasta).

> Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 04:08:31 EST
> From: Montedodge@aol.com
> Subject: [pct-l] Duct tape Fix and retro gear
>
>  Hey Blister, You don,t ductape your whole blooming foot. Just heals and
> anyplace you nomally get hotspots. Nothing and I mean nothing sticks as
well
> as ductape to your feet.

IMHO, the waterproof (important!) Johnson and Johnson first aid tape sticks
better.

> Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 09:34:29 EST
> From: Slyinmd@aol.com
> Subject: [pct-l] How To Hike the PCT
>
> Does any one use these (treking poles) on the PCT?

Seemed like in '98, everyone was using them.  I'd never go without them (or
at least one) again.

> Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 10:01:25 EST
> From: Slyinmd@aol.com
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Messages from 99 hopefuls on trail to PCT-l
>
> Anyone know which towns have free net access and where, as in library,
town
> hall etc.

Here are a few I'm certain of:

Agua Dulce, CA -- at the person's house where you'll stay if you're smart.
They'll find you.  Don't worry about accomodations in AD.  Everything there
will work out.
Mammoth Lakes, CA -- library
Bridgeport, CA -- library
Chester, CA -- library
Dunsmuir, CA -- library
Etna, CA -- Bradley's B & B (hiker-friendly)
Ashland, OR -- at the University and the health food coop
Skykomish, WA -- library

Here's a few others I can't confirm, but I suspect:

Idyllwild, CA
Big Bear City, CA (or take the bus to Big Bear Lake)
Tehachapi, CA
Kernville, CA
Lone Pine, CA
Independence, CA (Inyo County seat)
Vermillion Valley Resort, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Tahoe City, CA

Here's a few where I know there is not access (or at least there wasn't in
'98):

Cascade Locks, OR
Sisters, OR
Leavenworth, WA
Stehekin, WA

Hope this helps.

> Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 10:57:16 -0800
> From: "Joanne Lennox" <goforth@cio.net>
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] How To Hike the PCT;trekking poles
>
> Sly, I started using trekking poles on all my training hikes this winter,

> I have 4 questions
>
> 2) How long do the carborundum tips last?  Can I expect to get thru an
> entire thruhike with a single pair.  What wears out first?

The tips on the Leki poles we used lasted about 1000-1500 miles.  We kept
spares in our drift box and borrowed a crescent wrench when we needed to
replace them.

> 3) I have the collapsible 3-part 24 inch models.  These have plastic
> inserts inbetween the sections,which prevent the sections from slipping,
> and which can be adjusted by twisting.  I suspect that every time they
are
> readjusted there is a very slight wear in this part(I will be readjusting

> them since I will be using them with the tent that I am building).  From
> what the Campmor catalog said eventually they began to slip and will not
> bear your weight.  Has anybody had this trouble?

The Lekis sound like they have a similar mechanism and we adjusted ours for
our tarp, too.  We had spares of this part in our drift box, but never had
to use them.

Chris.