[pct-l] Hiker Experience and Wisdom

Having been on a few hikes of a week or more, and having an enthusiastic desire to thru-hike the PCT, I ask past hikers of all persuasions to share their experiences.  Specifically:

1.  Does anybody carry a Swiss Army Knife?  I kinda like mine, find it very handy and not too heavy.  I wish it had locking blades, though, and would buy one that did.  Does anyone carry a multitool like a Gerber or a Leatherman?

2.  Does anybody carry those miniature butane cigarette lighters?  I always seem to have about 3 of them with me.  I put a little strip of adhesive backed velcro on the lighter to stick it to the side of the fuel bottle.

3.  Does anybody carry the "10 essentials" as recommended?  Just curious.

4.  How extensive should the first aid kit be?  I'd appreciate any stories, especially ones where having the right stuff made a difference.  If you are really ambitious, you could list the contents of your first aid kit.  I'm betting there is a wide variety.

In gratitude for sharing your experiences, I offer this one of mine.  With a little experimentation, some double strength aluminum foil, and a bit of adhesive backed velcro, you can fashion a dandy windscreen for almost any stove.  Cost comes out to be about a nickel.

Thanks to all who participate.  Bob at the TrailHead.