[pct-l] Cholla cactus and dogs

I live in the desert (I can see the Desert Divide portion of the PCT
from my office window) and hike alot with my dogs.  I rarely contact
cholla cactus myself EXCEPT when removing them from my dogs.  Besides
the comb trick, I carry a Leatherman tool when the dogs are around.
Nothing like needlenose pliers for removing the barbed spines that stay
in after the main ball is removed.  Amazingly enough, the dogs don't
seem bothered after the spines are removed.  There are so many chollas
in the Mission Creek area that I stopped taking my dogs in there.
                Jeff Jones