[pct-l] Re: [Southern California

Hiking in southern California:

>Instead I will start very early and then hole up for a while
>waiting for better weather as we head North, we have six months to play
>with.

Play it by ear Helen, Mother Nature controls the dial.  In '97 it was a dry
year and we needed more water.  Last year the first place we pitched our
tent in '97 (near the train tracks) outside of Campo was UNDER WATER and
there was plenty of it.  This year ----???.

>Did anybody out there enjoy the southern portion enough to WANT
>to do it again.  Maybe the thing to do is just to skip it.  Opinions
>everyone.

Walt and I loved the desert -- we have done it each year and last year as a
training section and are looking forward to hiking it againQ!  The canyons
can be endless and finding water becomes your #1 priority, but then that is
part of the adventure.  The heat can become very wearing, especially when it
has been 100+ for several days in a row, but it is DRY heat. Compared to the
heat combined with the humidity of the east, we were able to endure the
desert 100 better than 85 and high humidity at home. We didn't have any rain
until after Mission Creek when a bad thunderstorm came up -- it even started
a fire very close to us.  It rained for 8 hours --there was also pea and
larger sized hail. The temperature droped 55+ degrees in less than 1 hour!
Fortunately, Walt and I were just past Mission Creek Hostel headed toward
Big Bear and near the campground.  We were able to hole up in an abandoned
building.  I believe it rained on us only 1 other time until we got to
Kennedy Meadows.  We loved the beautiful flowers, the reptiles, birds, and
the chorus of the coyotes at night!  Oh I am PCT homesick!  Hurry up April!

There are some very wonderful "Trail Angels" in this area who have left
water in the past at various strategic spots for PCT Hikers. Some are marked
for specific hikers.  The water can be left in water on jugs or vodka, rum,
etc bottles too *sorry -- there is just water in them!  These Angel have
sometimes left fruit, cookies, and candy, but I have never seen any ice
cream yet! DREAM ON!! OK you guys on the list and your friends (you know who
you are) THANKS A MILLION for all you have done to help us out!  At some
Post Offices you may see notes telling the date water will be left and
where, even for who. BUT, NEVER count on getting any and drink yourself dry,
there may be none when you get there.  Some hikers went early, rented a car
and made caches of water for themselves at strategic spots.

>Has anyone figured out which company has the best, most complete, cellular
coverage for the PCT?

I think AT&T has a "Complete Coverage Package."  Walt was telling me
about it the other night and I'm afraid I wasn't listening very well.  I
can't remember if he said it was $69.95 a month or not.  It was for 600
minutes a month -- no long distance, connection, or roaming charges -- can't
remember if they provided the phone or just the service.  It would be best
if you got the low down from AT&T -- I am having another Alzheimer's attack!

See you soon!  Happy Trails --- Pat

PS HELEN-- about 10 years ago my vet ordered some rubber booties for our
Sheltie.  She got her foot caught on barbed wire and it became infected
because she kept biting at it.  We used the booties to keep the dressing on
and her feet dry!  They had no seams -- were all one piece of flexible
rubber but had a hard bottom.  There was a velcro adjustment at the top.
She only wore them outside and that wasn't like an all day restriction for
her.  I'm sorry I can't remember what name brand they were, but Princess
tolderated them very well because they were light and flexible -- she HATED
anything on her feet too! Maybe your vet can direct you in the right
direction.