[pct-l] Back to Maps

Would love to get a bit more feedback on what would
be the best recommended additional topo map (aside
from the guidebook maps). Here is what I have found out.

The Delorme Atlas Gazetteer series are 11" by 14" pages with a scale
of 1:150,000. These run $16.95 and 4 books are required for the
whole trail ($70). I know that some felt that these maps were
not quite accurate enough for use, while others felt that these were fine.
Delorme says that their maps are updated more often and they
use Sattelite imagery as well.

The U.S.G.S. publishes two different scales of maps that could
be useful as a supplementary map.

* 1:100,000 (30x60 minute) maps (estimated cost $80)
* 1:250,000 (1 x 2 degree) maps (estimated cost $60)

Since the purpose of the supplementary maps is to give one a bigger
picture idea of where they are, I'm tempted to get the larger scale
USGS maps, which also happens to be the least cost option--although
not by much. Any thoughts??