[pct-l] Canine Buddies

* Message posted to PCT-L from the National Scenic Trails Website
* by our guest Darcy Bergman <darcy@wave.net>.
* Please use <mailto:darcy@wave.net> to reply to the sender.

Hello everyone--
I've been lurking here for several months and thought that I would comment on this one.  I am planning on a 99 thruhike and originally wanted to take my 2 obedience trained dogs with me.  They have their own packs and pack all their own gear. Unfortunately, I found out that they could go everywhere except the National parks and since the PCT crosses several National parks it would be a problem to take them.  I had toyed with the idea of taking them and having a friend transport them around the National parks but the logistics were turning out to be a nightmare.  All the dogs I have come accross in the backcountry have been very well behaved, like mine.  I think that there should be an exception for thruhikers that take the time to train their dogs well and would keep them on leash in sensitive areas.  I, for one, would gladly pay an extra fee to be able to enjoy the PCT with Taco and Nijo.  They are my best friends and I take them everywhere with me.  My family will keep them for me but it breaks my heart to have to leave them for such a long time. Well, I've rambled on enough about this.  Does anyone have any other suggestions.

Darcy