[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #668

pct-l@edina.hack.net,EVS Internet writes:

Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 23:26:34 EST
From: "The Weathercarrot" <weathercarrot@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [pct-l] southbound snow in WA

Hi Mike, you wrote:
- -------------------
the passes in WA are the inverse of sierra passes, right?  ie they are
the low point along the trail instead of the high points.  therefore,
even if the passes show no snow, there would be more up on the trail
away from the passes.

can someone with experience on the trail at this time of year confirm
this for me?  when can we send the axes home?
- -----------------

I haven't done Washington southbound at that time of year (there are
lots on this list who have), but here are some thoughts. Going by what
experienced people have talked about, it seems that if you're leaving
Manning on 7-1, an axe would be good to have atleast to Snoqualmie Pass,
but that still leaves some spots around Chinook Pass and Goat Rocks
where it might be needed. If it's any kind of late melt year, take the
axe to Cascade Locks, then you'll be set from there.

I remember in the summer of 1998, there was a LOT of snow through the Alpine
lakes, specifically the second week of August.  I was very surprised.   Last
summer, there was some snow through the Goat Rocks in the third week of
August, but it wasn't any problem.   I would definitely agree that taking
your ice axe until Cascade locks would be a good idea.  It was good to have
one in the summer of 1998 just in August nevermind in July.  This year I bet
the snow will be in between what we had in 98 and 99.  We found the
snowreports to be inaccurate.  I believe my father had no problem crossing
the catwalk at Snoqualmie when the Forest Service said it was "impassable".
In all fairness, I believe it actually was "impassable" just two weeks prior
but that was the record snow summer.

Laurel