Re: [pct-l] southbound snow in WA

Hi Mike, you wrote:
-------------------
the passes in WA are the inverse of sierra passes, right?  ie they are
the low point along the trail instead of the high points.  therefore,
even if the passes show no snow, there would be more up on the trail
away from the passes.

can someone with experience on the trail at this time of year confirm
this for me?  when can we send the axes home?
-----------------

I haven't done Washington southbound at that time of year (there are
lots on this list who have), but here are some thoughts. Going by what
experienced people have talked about, it seems that if you're leaving
Manning on 7-1, an axe would be good to have atleast to Snoqualmie Pass,
but that still leaves some spots around Chinook Pass and Goat Rocks
where it might be needed. If it's any kind of late melt year, take the
axe to Cascade Locks, then you'll be set from there.

>what can we expect for precipitation in july along the WA trail?

July and August are the height of "dry" season in the Washington
Cascades. However, it can vary greatly from month to month or year to
year. Thunderstorms are less common the more north you go, and more
common southward into Oregon and Northern CA. They also are more typical
on the dry, eastern slopes because of greater day-time heat build up on
that side (less stable air). When it comes to those dreary all-day
rains, the reverse is true - more likely as you head to the north, and
more commonly on the west slopes. But more often than not, you have
atleast several days (if not weeks) at a time of ideal weather. On one
extreme, this past summer, the Washington section had great weather on
about 85 out of 90 days. Hope that answers your question.

wc