[pct-l] southbound snow in WA

let's hear it for the southbound questions!    :)

i've been looking at mark's snow page.  it looks like most snow is gone at
the passes by july 1, or by when we'd be likely to reach it.  i'm still
assuming we'll need to take ice axes to start the trip.  is this assumption
correct?

the passes in WA are the inverse of sierra passes, right?  ie they are the
low point along the trail instead of the high points.  therefore, even if
the passes show no snow, there would be more up on the trail away from the
passes.

can someone with experience on the trail at this time of year confirm this
for me?  when can we send the axes home?

and a question for Wxcarrot ... what can we expect for precipitation in
july along the WA trail?

thanks everyone...

mike
ke kaahawe, AT92  TYT94  PCT99