Re: [pct-l] permit rumor?

At 10:51 AM 1/27/99 -0800, Birgitte wrote:

>     Doesn't look like you got the alleged "story" straight, Jim! <g> The
>PCTA and land management agencies have good communication (so some ranger
>is unlikely to have to "find out" about permit-issue).

Not true !, we ran into a ranger in Kings Canyon N.P. in early July last
year that didn't even know  she was on the PCT. I'm confident think this
would preclude her knowing about the permit. Further on a wilderness guard
stopped us in Oregon and asked us why we didn't have a permit hanging from
our packs. We explained the thru-hike permit, which she had never heard of
before. I'm sure other people have first hand examples like mine. Many
agencies are terrible about disseminating information to people on the
front lines, especially good information. So, in a way they tend to bring
the criticism on themselves.

Mark Dixon