[pct-l] permit rumor?

"Jim Owen" writes:
> There's a story that
>came out of the recent Gatherings about a ranger (NPS??, USFS??) in
>California who found out that the PCTA could issue single permits for
>PCT thruhikers for the whole trail.  While this is second hand
information
>it seems [snip] If I got the story straight, their theory was that
"thruhikers" should
> have to get a permit for every National Park and Forest that they pass
through.

     Doesn't look like you got the alleged "story" straight, Jim! <g> The
PCTA and land management agencies have good communication (so some ranger
is unlikely to have to "find out" about permit-issue). _Nobody_ has to
"get a permit for every [area] they pass through" - it's one
permit-per-trip for everybody: backpackers, horsemen, you name it. (all
of us can trot back/forth between National Forests, Parks as many times
as we want on a hike on a _single_ entry-point overnight permit. The only
exception is the additional sticker recently required for the Mt Whitney
Zone; it's attached to your single permit, that's all.
     Maybe things are different on the AT where you hiked (I don't
remember they were when I hiked there, but it was awhile ago)....?

> Why is it that some people think it's acceptable to make life
>more difficult for others?

    "A Ranger's Lament" for sure! - if unfounded rumors like the one you
posted start circulating on the internet.  Agencies're understaffed as it
is without having to deal with alot of worried, angry calls (based on
idle gossip) saying "Hey! Where do you guys get off trying to destroy the
sport of distance-hiking, harump!" - stuff like that. <VBG>
     From what _I_ understand, thruhikers are still given "special
treatment" permit-wise, to make their trip logistics easier, same as
always.....        bj

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]