Re: [pct-l] Re: thoughts while walking

> But I'd find that words & phrases, ideas for stories & books would float up
> out of nowhere.

This is true for me as well as for Christine. I often hike with a
micro-cassette recorder so the floating ideas didn't drift away
entirely. I will do so on the PCT despite the weight, for my own ideas
and because I will be interviewing other hikers for a book. (I'm
friendly, won't tell any secrets and the interview will be short. Hope
you'll all stop and say hi on the trail :-))

Songs I hadn't heard in years floated out of memory.  (some
> got REALLY annoying...)

Yup, and then then run through my mind and my vocal chords endlessly,
sometimes for days at a time. Hard to get unstuck once one of those old
tunes gets imbedded!

  It's amazing what
> the rhythm of the walking does to the mind, if you let it.

This is my favorite part. Hiking is meditation time for me, breathing in
rhythm to my walking, repeating a mantra in my mind, listening for the
words and ideas and patterns and voices that make themselves known when
my mind is quiet. There is nothing I know better for quieting the mind
than simply putting one foot in front of the other for an extended
period of time. Boredom? Perhaps. And boredom is the gateway to peace.

Namaste, m (PCTCoach)

**Don't forget to check out the PCT Class of '99 roster at
http://tothesummit.com/PCTroster.html. There have been changes and/or
additions every week so put it on your calendar to check in on a weekly
basis. I invite any of you who are on the roster to send my info on
yourself to put in the additional information section. It's a great way
to let other hikers know a little bit about who you are. Enjoy the day.

--
Margo Chisholm
The Freedom Coach

"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are."
-- e.e. Cummings