Re: [pct-l] room 4 everybody

Quote from Owen:

>I think most of us on the list fit that general category whether we're
>thruhikers or not.  I've been through this argument more than once - it
>generally leads into the idea that thruhikers are no different than
>anyone else and therefore are not "special" and deserve no more
>consideration or respect than any other backpacker.  And the argument is
>"partially" (but ONLY "partially") true even though it's invariably
>presented by someone who has not and probably will not ever be a
>thruhiker.   Thruhikers are not supermen - and they're not "special".
>But they are different - and they do have experience that others lack -
>and that some people want - and want to know about.  And they do
>something "different" than those who consider themselves backpackers.
>Not "better"  -  but definitely different.
>
>The last time we went though this, it came down to somebody's bright
>idea that thruhikers shouldn't take pride in what they've done because
>it makes others "feel bad about themselves".  I believe that's what's
>called a "Politically Correct" idea.  It's also nonsense.

~~~~~~~~~

I agree that there are a number of people out there that feel thruhikers are
not that special.  When I meet other hikers, and if they know about my
thruhiking experience, most show respect by asking the usual questions
followed by the "...I wish I could, but..."  When it comes to gatherings
though, this is when one is proud to be a thruhiker.  You can relate to and
bond with other thruhikers, compare stories, and truly know what its like to
be among the few.

The draw back, there's not a high proportion people that hike at all,
period.  So explaining why you took 6 months off "to live in the woods" gets
to dull the "specialty" of being a thruhiker.  There's not many people who
can relate, or even comprehend the idea.  I just avoid the subject when ever
possible.

<Owen>Thruhikers are not supermen - and they're not "special".

Thruhikers may not be supermen, but they definitely are special (among
themselves mostly).  Thruhiker friendship is among the tightest I've ever
known.  I keep in regular contact with as  many as I can, and when I meet
another thru-hiker I feel like I'm meeting a family member.

-=# s #=-