Re: [pct-l] Water filters

In a message dated 1/24/99 9:15:12 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
hikertrash@earthlink.net writes:

<< I would use the Pioneer again.  It is a good little minimalist filter which
has a small pick-up which will fit into the mouths of Platypus water carriers.
I think it weighed 8-9 ounces.  Sure is nice to instantly have safe water
without chemical tastes. >>

Is the Pur Pioneer the one that fits on top of a nalgene?

I have a MSR Mini Works but can't be bothered pumping a gallon or two of water
a day with it.  Too much effort!  After only a few weeks on the AT, I sent it
home and went with iodine with no ill effects.  Ground springs (the ones I
could see the source, the ground!) I didn't bother treating.   During the day,
I'd always try to wait a half hour or so after treating, before drinking.  I
was never bothered by the iodine taste.  Otherwise, in the evening,  I'd boil
for my hot meals and drinks and treat for the next day.

Always looking for alternatives,  Sly