Re: [pct-l] Alternative water purification update

Tim,

According to a Boy Scout leader I hike with last summer you are about 10%
to come down with guarida from any given stream/watersource. You will need
to repeat your test 10 times from 10 different water sources to be
scientifically proper. [VBG]

There have been numerous discussions complete with chemical explanations,
appeals to scientific studies, etc, etc, etc on water purification on the
Compuserve Outdoors forum. In dispute remains;
1-The boiling time required to kill guarida
2. Does Iodine kill guarida If so how much Iodine and for how long and at
what temperature. Further, since Vitamen C kills the Iodine taste and also
stops the Iodine from working, how long before you can add it [at what
temperature, amount etc, etc, etc.]
3. Do Chlorine or Oxygen products kill  .......if so how ....... [as in the
above]

Some people have hiked for years drinking straight out of the stream and
some get sick really easily.

Based on what I've learned on this list a thruhike is a test of
determination versus risk and pain. Not being into this [My own business is
risk/pain enough for me] I do not presume to tell a thruhiker what to do.

 The solution for everyone else is a filter. If a thruhiker decides to
carry a filter, I believe that the MSR would be a good choice. It is easy
to pump and is field cleanable -- important in the disgusting water sources
along much of the trail.

Standard disclaimers apply

TOM