[pct-l] PCTA

Please join the Pacific Crest Trail Association before you start your hike.
You will be helping to preserve the trail we are dreaming about spending 4-5
months enjoying, plus receive many benefits.

The PCTA can issue you the COMPLETE set of permits you will need for the
trail. Their toll free number to call for updates on trail conditions is 1-
888-PCT-TRAIL and their web site is HTTP://WWW.GORP.COM/PCTA  .

In '97 I purchased our PCT patch and sewed it onto our packs -- it gave us
an extra identification as we hiked and a sense of pride in our journey.  We
also bought PCT T-shirts, but saved them for after the hike! The store has
added many new and useful items to is inventory, and buying from them will
save you quite a bit of time in having to locate all the helpful information
as you plan your hike. I recommend Lynne Wheldon's PCT video.  The hikers he
interviewed were some of our Trail Family of '97 --including Lynne, and it
has a very special place in our hearts, plus lots of good advice about
hiking the PCT.  You also get an introduction to all the towns along the
way. Lynne also has a video out (tailored for the AT but can be used by
anyone for anywhere!) on lightweight backpacking " Let the Revolution
Begin," you may have to purhase from him or REI.  Leslie Croot put together
the Town Guide ('97) and Ben Go (Gentle Ben) put together the Data Book
('96-97) -- I don't believe there would be any copyright infrigments if you
copy the sections you want to take for personal use. Bart Smith took some
excellent pictures of the PCT and Karen Berger and Dan Smith documented
their '97 hike in the book "Along the Pacific Crest Trail," FANTASTIC!

As a member you will receive their excellent magazine, 'Pacific Crest
Communicator,'  which comes out bi-monthly.  The magazine has articles and
pictures on PCT issues, trail maintenance, volunteering, hikers,
equestrians, the PCTA Staff, special hikes, PCT Store items, and so much
more!  We as hikers reap the benefit of a lot of very hard working and
dedicated people, the PCT is a multifacited trail and it too "takes a
village to help it grow and be protected!"

See you soon on the PCT!

The Happy Trails Couple