Re: [pct-l] Where will I be using my ice ax?

At 05:10 PM 1/20/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I would like to know which sections or passes I can expect to be using my
>ice ax ?  Also, which post offices can someone recommend to mail out from,
>and receive their ax ?  Would these be the same PO's I could send my winter
>gear ahead?  And last, which areas will I need my winter gear?

Mike,

Last year we had our ice axes sent to Idyllwild for the stretch along
Fuller Ridge in the San Jacintos, you won't need them before this. We made
the mistake of sending them ahead to Kennedy Meadows from Big Bear City and
needed them at Mt. Baden-Powell. If there turns out to be little or no snow
in the southern mountains this year you may not need the ice axe in either
of these places. My advice would be to send the axe to Idyllwild priority
mail. By the time you reach Idylwild you'll have been able to assess
whether the ice axe is necessary for Fuller Ridge and Baden-Powell. If you
don't think it is, just forward the package to Kennedy Meadows where you
will need the ice axe for the Sierras. You can forward priority mail for
free if you don't open the package. You'll need the ice axe on through to
at least Tuolumne Meadows, but maybe further depending on the snow
conditions around Sonora Pass at the time.

You may not need "winter gear" at all. You might want to send an extra
layer to Kennedy Meadows and again when you get to Washington state in
September or October. Good Luck!

Mark Dixon