Re: [pct-l] Where will I be using my ice ax?

At 05:10 PM 1/20/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I would like to know which sections or passes I can expect to be using my
>ice ax ?  Also, which post offices can someone recommend to mail out from,
>and receive their ax ?  Would these be the same PO's I could send my winter
>gear ahead?  And last, which areas will I need my winter gear?

Depending on the winter in So Cal, you may need your ice axe in San Jacinto from about the beginning of map B9 to where you cross Black Mountain road on Map B10. You may need it again on Mt Baden Powel - map D5.

I depending on how "pure" you want to be, I might suggest leaving the trail in Map B4 and visiting Kamp Anza and picking up your ice axe there. You can paralell the trail on terwilliger road (it goes all the way to hwy 371, though the map doesn't show it) and then follow hwy 371 to where it joins hwy 74, his is where the resraunt is  where you will need to visit for water anyway. Then about a mile back to te trail.

You could also backtrack to the trail. It is about 2 1/2 miles one way. If you are planning on sending a package to the Anza Post Office, then send it to Kamp Anza instead, It it MUCH easier to get to from the trail.

The folks at Kamp Anza  friendly, they hold hiker packages, and the green grass and showers are a welcome site after miles and miles of chaparall.

Kamp Anza
4560 Terwilliger Rd SP19
Anza CA 92539
1.909.763.4819

The next areas you will want your axe start around Mt Whitney. If you are going out to Lone Pine over Trail Pass for resupply then pick it up there, if not, then pick it up at the Kennedy Meadows store. If you are planning on going to lone pine over Mt Whitney, then you will need your axe to get down to Whitney Portal. The resupply route is MUCH harder than Trail Pass.

I dont' think you will EVER need winter gear in a normal year.