RE: [pct-l] Re: Book idea

Is the book already written?

If so, and it can't be published elsewhere. You may consider publishing
it on the Internet. It's the perfect home for publications that need a
home but have limited audience.

Assuming, that is,  you're not attempting to make a profit.

Ron

		John,

		My goal on a book on Bears/Bear Canisters is to educate
the public so that
		some garbage bear doesn't bite my head off.

		I offered to [through a friend] the NPS to write and
publish the book for
		"free" and sell it for cost [probably less than $2] if
they would
		distribute it. I also sent an e-mail to Wilderness Press
because of their
		reputation [I foolishly thought that they knew about,
and cared enough
		about, the backcountry to recognise the problem] and
their ability to
		distribute books where it mattered.

		In the case of the NPS it is probably a bureauracy.
		1-They first have to recognise the problem: People don't
know how to use
		bear canisters
		2- Understand the effect of the problem: More human food
for bears
		3- Then understand and evaluate my solution: A how to
book from someone who
		has experience and knows how to write an entertaining
book.
		Unless someone knows how to get to the right person this
ain't going to
		happen [Reynolds Rule; The core competency of any
bureauracy is to
		perpepuate itself]

		In the case of Wilderness Press they just probably have
lots on their plate
		and didn't notice.

		* From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List |
http://www.backcountry.net   *