[pct-l] Maps & crampons

For maps in So Cal one of the woman I hiked it with had the delorme
maps, they made a great BACKUP to the maps in the guidebooks. It's nice
to see things in a larger scale. I have taken up the practice of using
them for other trips. I am thinking of buying there cd pack for the
entire us, $99 for the set of four. Has anyone used these?
    For the map sets for OR & WA I used several of them & love the
larger scale, however they are still strip maps. They do show the trail
better than the delorme & are accurate + have info on town services. The
distances are printed on the maps so you have a quick reference. I did
still carry the guidebook sections at the time, but it was in 95 before
the data guide was out.

Crampons: First of all, I feel if you are hitting snow, I feel you
should carry & know how to use an ice axe.Crampons aren't really
necessary in my opinion, IF you are familiar with snow travel. Most of
the time you will be hiking in sierra cement as it is nicknamed. You can
plan your day to try & hit snowfieds when the sun has had a few hours to
soften it enough to kick step into. If you do hit a hard stretch you
should know how to chop a few steps in with your ice axe to cross
safely. A few people I hike the PCT with carried instep crampons. I
feel, from talking with them, that they helped them a lot. I also feel
it was more physiological.

Bears: I know of one hiker that had his tent slashed in 95 by a bear
attempting to get his food. He was in Castle Craig SP. I, as most
Thruhiker do, sleep with my food most of the time. When I am in known
bear problem areas I hang it. I prefer to tie the string off to my tent
as opposed to counter balancing so I know if one is after my food. Once
one has it, it's his! Luckily most of the problem areas(JMT section)
have bear boxes.