From: reynolds@ilan.com <reynolds@ilan.com>
Date: Tuesday, January 19, 1999 10:54 AM
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Bear Boxes

:Bear Canisters-
:The NPS is pushing bear canisters without educating the poblic on how to
:use them. If you simply stuff your Mountain House Cardboard a La King
:Supreme into a bear canister you will get 3 or 4 days food inside. The
:result will be [I have seen this repeatedly] 1/2 of the food in the
:canister and 1/2 the food unprotected. The hiker's strategy will be "Oh
:well, if the bear gets my food my trip won't be completely ruined". This is
:true but another Garbage Bear in the making.
:
:My wife and I hike for 7 days out of one (1) bear canister. I get 17-18
:pounds in one. It's all in how you pack one. I have tried to interest the
:NPS and Wilderness Press in my writing a book on bears and bear canisters
:but no luck. Kinda'a pissed me off. After all, I am a published author and
:I have used a canister since the first model but I guess you have to be
:Schaefer or Winette. ];
:
:Tom