Re: [pct-l] Giardiasis, filtering water

On my '79 PCT attempt, I used the saturated solution from iodine
crystals exclusively (Campo to Beldon).  At that time, I used a homemade
version as the nifty bottle with thermometer wasn't available.  I never
got sick FWIW.  During cold times, I carried the bottle in a shirt
pocket to be sure there was enough iodine in the solution.  However, I'm
sure there were times when I didn't wait long enough after treating cold
water.  A couple of times when I had to use really grungy water, I
filtered through a bandana (not especially clean itself but it removed
the gross contaminants), heated the water, and treated with a triple
dose of iodine.  I've had the bottle freeze and break 2 times since the
PCT.  Iodine leaves a stain that NEVER comes out.  As for taste, I
didn't mind the taste.  And now, years later, when I taste or smell
iodine treated water, it takes me back to good times on the PCT.
             Jeff Jones