Re: [pct-l] Bear Boxes

Bear Canisters-
The NPS is pushing bear canisters without educating the poblic on how to
use them. If you simply stuff your Mountain House Cardboard a La King
Supreme into a bear canister you will get 3 or 4 days food inside. The
result will be [I have seen this repeatedly] 1/2 of the food in the
canister and 1/2 the food unprotected. The hiker's strategy will be "Oh
well, if the bear gets my food my trip won't be completely ruined". This is
true but another Garbage Bear in the making.

My wife and I hike for 7 days out of one (1) bear canister. I get 17-18
pounds in one. It's all in how you pack one. I have tried to interest the
NPS and Wilderness Press in my writing a book on bears and bear canisters
but no luck. Kinda'a pissed me off. After all, I am a published author and
I have used a canister since the first model but I guess you have to be
Schaefer or Winette. ];

Tom