Re: [pct-l] More on bears

In a message dated 1/19/99 7:11:55 AM Pacific Standard Time, jeeter@cari.net
writes:

<< I would be interested in your speculation of bear behavior given the
scenario in which all campers stored all their gear in their respective tents.

I suspect one would find lots of shredded tents, backpacks, sleeping bags and
maybe a few marks too on those "soft, chewy centers" one finds in most
sleeping bags.

This scenario would have been the perfect time to have used the counterbalance
method to hang your food. While getting it may be easy for some bears, why
should they bother? It's much easier to take food from tents on the ground.

Don't try this at home (especially if your "home" is on the PCT).

How far is it to the next resupply town? Don't forget to buy a bear canister.

Charlie Jones