RE: [pct-l] Giardiasis, filtering water....and crypto too

You can check the NIH web site for authoritative info about Cryptosporidium
(http://www.nih.gov search for "Cryptosporidiosis").  Here is what I
remember.

(1) It is not killed by Chlorine or Iodine based water treatment.

(2) There is no effective treatment.

(3) Unless you have a compromised immune system it goes away after an
uncomfortable week or two.

(4) Any modern water filter should work just fine.  Municipal systems
apparently have trouble with it, but they process a LOT more water than a
personal filter.

It is apparently present in 60 to 70 percent of the surface water of the
United States (what that means I don't know... is it by volume, by body of
water, or by surface area?).  People with healthy immune systems can,
apparently, tolerate a low level of exposure without ill effects.

Interestingly, it wasn't recognized as a disease until 1976.  In 1993 there
was a major (400,000 person) outbreak in Milwaukee, Wisconsin that got the
disease national attention.

-- Jim