Re: [pct-l] About them Bears

reynolds@ilan.com wrote:

> Bears getting counterbalanced food happens all the time, that is, it is a
> regular and normal experience, in SOME parts of California. The offending
> areas in Sequoia National Park and Kings Canyon National Park have been
> largely solved by bear boxs.

This is true and worked great last summer.  Also, it was nice camping near
people instead of stealth camping, for a change.

> To the best of my knowledge, Yosemite doesn't use bear canisters. They like
> [or liked] cables but the bears have learned to beat them also.

This also proved to be true in my experience last summer.  In Glen Aulin High
Sierra Camp, they were not recommending that people use the bear cables last
August, because they didn't work.  The only recomendation they had were the
plastic bear cans.

> Some National Forest areas, like the Kearsarge Pass trail, have big bear
> problems and no bear boxs.

Big, big bear problems.  They had posters and fliers plastered all over trees
and near campsites in this area last summer.

peace,
Dude in TX