[pct-l] Re: Ice Axe Practice

Helen,

I like to practice self-arrest as close as possible to how I would do it
for real. Typically, I'll self-belay  up a slope and intentionally slip a
couple times, catching myself with the belay. Then, I'll slip and pretend
the belay pulls out and practice an arrest. It's good to practice self
belay/arrest with both hands, as well as falling from also sorts of
funky positions (headfirst on back, headfirst on stomach, etc.). Just
pick a slope with a safe runout and don't use a wrist leash. Also,
you'll probably want to use the arrest grip on the belays, so you don't
have to worry about switching grips to arrest after a belay fails.

I'd recommend taking a class if one is available. You also might want to
take a look at 'Freedom of the Hills'.

a little caveat: I haven't done the high sierra in early season, so I
don't know how much axe competence is needed to safely traverse the PCT.

As for brands, I ended up getting the grivel airtech racing - it's
fairly light & still UIAA approved, unlike the Dragonfly. I think
I got the 68cm length, but I'd have to measure to be sure. I would
recommend against a real short axe because you can't easily belay
with it. It's better to stop a fall from happening in the first
place than to throw the dice with a self-arrest.

Mark