Re: [pct-l] Giardiasis, filtering water

>>Waiting a hour for the iodine to disinfect
>>can be hard when you're really thirsty.
>>

>I was under the impression that iodine tabs take 10 minutes to be
effective,
>but I'm sure someone will differ in opinion.  Also, I have heard that
iodine
>taken over a long period of time does irreversible damage to ones liver.

I'm not an expert Chemist but my bottle of Polar Pure says: "Let stand 20
minutes before use.  ....  To destroy Giardia cysts, drinking water must be
20 degrees C ( 68F) minimum.  (water can be warmed in sun, or add hot water
to cold)."

I use an MSR filter and have never had Giardia or dysentery, but I also put
garlic cloves around my garden to repel elephants and I have never had an
elephant in my garden either.  Unfortunately it doesn't keep the deer out.
:')  When I am in areas where the water is really bad I treat it with
Iodine, wait 20+ minutes and then filter it.

bill

Bill Deutschman, Ph.D.
Oregon Laser Consultants
455 Hillside Avenue