[pct-l] More on bears

Snoop asked:

How common is this?  Does this happen all the time?  Do any thru-hikers
out
there have any reports of this happening to them?  This has to be rare,
other wise we would be hearing about it "as matter of fact", as opposed
having rangers in popular bear area filming this.  Yes/no?

I am not an expert and don't want to piss anyone off, BUT: I live real
close to the Sierras and have hiked them for over 25yrs. Around Tahoe I
tree but don't even counter-balance. I have never seen a bear that far
norht. Between Red's Meadows and Yosemite Valley YOU WILL ENCOUNTER
BEARS. Real live  ****LAND SHARKS***
I have seen[actually seen with my own eyes] black bears tear open
unattended packs in broad daylight going after food in Little Yosemite
Valley. So unless you want to rattle pots and pans and stay up all night
you are going to lose food to the bears of Yosemite. Even so, they will
climb your tree and stay up out of range of rock throwing and wait you
out. This happened to two friends of mine on the JMT two years ago. All
they could see were two red glowing eyes with their flashlights. Guess
who got the food.  I don't care how expert you are at
counterbalancing...the bears between Reds and YV will get your food.
Your options are:
1. Sleeping with it [kinda risky]
2. Using a bear cannister.
I am going to do both this year. Put the smelly stuff in the cannister.
Sleep with the sealed and wrapped Clif Bar type stuff.
Don't forget to leave all the zippers on your packs unzipped at night.
The land sharks like to snoop around while you sleep.