Re: [pct-l] About them Bears

Bears getting counterbalanced food happens all the time, that is, it is a
regular and normal experience, in SOME parts of California. The offending
areas in Sequoia National Park and Kings Canyon National Park have been
largely solved by bear boxs. Most people camp near them -- the result
being, naturally, that most people on the trail camp in the same locations.

To the best of my knowledge, Yosemite doesn't use bear canisters. They like
[or liked] cables but the bears have learned to beat them also.

Some National Forest areas, like the Kearsarge Pass trail, have big bear
problems and no bear boxs.

"Bear Problem" is relative. I hike 80 miles along the High Sierra Trail, a
prime "Bear problem area", in 1998 and never saw a bear. On the other hand,
I hiked 37 miles 10 years ago and was visited by bears 3 nights of 7.