Re: [pct-l] Giardiasis, filtering water

>Waiting a hour for the iodine to disinfect
>can be hard when you're really thirsty.

I was under the impression that iodine tabs take 10 minutes to be effective,
but I'm sure someone will differ in opinion.  Also, I have heard that iodine
taken over a long period of time does irreversible damage to ones liver.

I used bleach (chlorine) in a small 1 oz. Nalgine plastic bottle with a
dropper-top (similar to shampoo bottles) with great success.  2-3 drops/qt,
depending on the water source.  It tastes like tap water, but taste better
than iodine.  This might not feel comfortable for some, but it works great
for me, and weighs in at 2 oz with enough to treat nearly a thru-hikes
worth.  Its only down fall is it won't make dirty pond water look appealing,
but straining the water through a hanky first might.