Re: [pct-l] Ice Axe Practice

Hi Helen, I can't say I am a particularly experienced ice axe user having
only used the ice axe on occassion in '97 and '98.  Fortunately, I never had
to assume the self arrest position but once and that was with my hiking
pole.  I wished I had taken a class in the proper use of an ice axe before
we left.  There are hundreds of people who have made it through the Sierras
without any formal ice ax training.  You may not even have to use your ice
axe for self arrest, but then again you might.

We live on the east coast and there are several outfits that offer classes
in winter survival and ice ax techniques in Vermont and Maine.  I believe
that Tahoe has some outfits that offer classes too.  REI may also have the
names of some places.

In '97, several of our friends had close calls in the snow at Forrester and
Mather. It was "luck" not experience that saved their lives.  I must say
with all honesty, I need to take a class myself. If you don't have time to
take a class, there are some books out that will show the proper body
positions to assume and ice axe technique to use.

Walt and I saw Everest at the IMAX on Saturday, it was fantastic.  The
Tabetian man who did get to the top was shown in a clip at the beginning
practicing his self arrest technique down a snow bank.  He wasn't able to
self arrest on his first attempt to stop his fall and he had to assume
another position in order to stop -- and he was an experienced mountaineer!

>Advice on the brand and size to carry for the specific purpose of self
arrest is also needed.

Gravel's Air Tech Racer Axe is one of the lightest chrome-moly axes on the
market.  It is tempting to go with a shorter ice axe to save weight, and
this is ok as long as it isn't so short you are walking over hunched up all
the time.

Walt is taking a Gravel Air Tech and I am taking a Dragonfly.  We had Gravel
Nepals in '97 but they were too short.

Hope to see you on the trail.

Happy Trails Couple -- Pat