Re: [pct-l] Tents

RE: Weight of Eureka Grossamer Tent

There is a huge difference between 2 3/4 pound and 3 3/4 pounds. At 3 3/4
pounds I know how you can make a very inexpensive tent.

The Reynolds Tent
1. Hunt up a very cheap twainese dome tent. Typically they only have a
semi-fly on the very top of the tent. The best are rectabgular dome tents.
They have two crossing poles. You should be able to find the tent body
weighing well below three (3) pounds for $60-$80.

 In LA I would check out K-Mart, Target, Rite-Aid etc. Show up with a scale
and make a pest of yourself.[Consider this as training for the Tahoe
Harrarah Buffet trip]

2. Carefully, and I do mean carefully, check every seam. They use cheap
thread and have no quality control [A thruhiker might want to actually
restitch the tent with nylon thread]

3. Replace the fiberglass poles with Aluminum poles. In LA, I would buy
replacement poles from Sports Chalet for about $3 each. For about $60 you
will get enough sections to replace the poles. You will probably need to
cut two (2) poles. You may want to shockcord them. Use the shockcord from
the fibreglass poles.

4. Seamseal it man. Amusingly, this rectangular design with a small fly
that covers the very top [avoid the tents with full flys. They are heavier,
cost more and work no better] works well. The water runs down the steep
walls without penetrating. Where is the problem? On the bottom. The water
pools.

Actually for funs sake I might build one just for my tent evaluation. If so
if I do I'll post a current parts list