[pct-l] PCT guide book Map aids

 <I am so glad that the maps are in the
book,
but it drives me crazy that they are so unrelated to the text (major
waypoints and mileage points are not labelled on the maps), it is often
is
impossible without reading lots of text to find out where on the map you
are (text can be a few pages removed from the map in front or behind),
in
some cases the PCT going North is right to left and in other cases it is
left to right, the direction is unlabeled, the fact that everything on
the
maps is in grey(except for the heavy black line of the PCT) means that
all
the details and names are almost illegible except for a myoptic few, and
the fact that they are only pieces of l5 minute maps, prevents one
getting
a sense of the surrounding country>

I understand your frustration. Volume two is particularly bad in
regards to reading the route maps. What I did was highlight the route
in brilliant neon green, and put little arrows so that I can see the
direction of travel at a glance. I also "clouded" or circled important
way points and wrote them out at the side in big print.  Like you, I'm
also much more used to full size USGS topos, but I really think that
once you're on the trail it will be a cinch to follow.

I'm also interested in any responses that you get on the "Border War"
situation. I understand Lake Morena is about as close as you want to
camp to the border. What say you all?

==
Tucker
email:worknot@yahoo.com