Re: [pct-l] campo bus, guide-map vs text

On Sat, 16 Jan 1999 13:30:20 -0800 "Joanne Lennox" <goforth@cio.net>
writes:
>Thanks bj, I guess I need some comforting too.  Starting to already
>get the Truhike jitters some.

   Know just what you mean! I "comfort" myself by indulging in a wide
variety of forbidden food-treats, so I never know whether the queasy
feeling is due to prehike jitters or gourmanditis, heheh!

>And for what it is worth, I seem to get more easily disorientied on
flatter
>terrain.  In the mountains there is always a peak, or valley, or slope
>keep me aware of my direction, apart from white-out conditions that is.

   Thank goodness we don't run into whiteouts but once-in-a-blue moon,
no? The southerly PCT may be gently-graded, but there are plenty of
landmarks (if not always on the trail, then nearby), even peaks n'
valleys to look at, and a number of mountainous areas provide contrast -
it's by no means endlessly "flat". Since you enjoy peak-bagging and
climbing, you'll have a ball in the San Jacintos, for instance. All sorts
of "summits", from short scrambles with a rewarding view to interesting
technical stuff - just minutes from the trail!

>P.S.  I also find what rides under a cowboy hat incredably sexy!
>Alas, I am throughly devoted to my husband, and give horses and cowboy
hats a
>wide berth.

    Well, if you can control yourself <giggle>,  the Wide Berth (except
when allowing stock to pass of course) isn't necessary at all! I've found
horses to be very "proper", and the (authentic) cowboy-types so
respectful and courtly that I've wished I was wearing something more
"ladylike" - a long skirt with a whisp of petticoat peeping out perhaps.
It's lovely on occasion to feel oneself in an era when Men were
(Gentle)Men and ladies were....aw, you get the idea <g>....
    No offense intended, guys; just girl-talk!        bj

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]