[pct-l] Re snowshoes

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999 23:09:33 PST "Determined Hiker"
<determinedhiker@hotmail.com> writes:
>Helen - Thanks for the encouragement about snowshoeing.  Think I need to

>try it - someone told me it is harder than cross-country skiing.

   Helen's advice was excellent; I just wanted to say that snowshoeing is
_much_ easier than cc skiing (you got a bum steer <g>)! Sometimes guys
whine that it's a hassle because they're constantly stepping on one shoe
with the other but guess what? Snowshoeing is easier in general for women
than men, yippie! Because of our wider "base" (read: hips, sigh), we
don't have to "duckwalk" like men do - just walk along normally. Finally,
we have an advantage in outdoor sports!
   Remember to get the appropriate size-for-weight. The smaller the shoe,
the lighter (there are snowshoes for trail _running_ which are a blast!),
but you need enough shoe to give you floatation, which you have to
consider if you'll be wearing a pack....   Enjoy!
    bj

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]