Re: [pct-l] Tents - Moss Helix Tent

>Has anyone used a Moss Helix tent?
>What do you think of it?

I got it because I had always been impressed with Moss's durability, and
that it's less likely to leak through the floor than most tents - an
important thing with a down bag. The problem was how much they weigh, so
I got the lightest one they make, which is the Helix. I used it from
Cascade Locks to Manning Park.

The positives: With no ground cloth and lighter stakes it feels about
the same in weight as tents that are officially less. Perfect for one
person and gear. Without the fly, mesh is all there is above you, so the
view is nice. And yes, it doesn't leak through the floor.

The negatives: Condensation is unreal. Wasn't bad on the warmer, dry
nights, but when it was colder than 35-40 it was drenching. The
vestibule/entrance area is quite awkward. After a rain, the collected
moisture just comes pouring in on you when it's time to exit. The fly
was a pain in the rear to line up correctly over the pole, and towards
the end it completely rested against the mesh on one side, no matter how
I tried to set it up. This amplified the condensation problem,
especially in the rain. Its either that the fly is stretched or
something, or the pole is out of wack. I certainly have to do something
about it soon because I'm not using it like this when I go back out
there. Besides, it IS a little too heavy.

Hope this doesn't discourage you. Others have very different experiences
with this tent. Take care,

wc