[pct-l]snowmap

Hi List -

Another newcomer here - new to everything to do with hiking.  Trying to
keep my questions to a minimum as I learn.  I started hiking in the
summer.  How can I find out current snow conditions on trails that are
near trailheads for beginners like myself.  I don't want to do snowshoes
or cross country skis yet, just want to find out where I can get on the
trail without the above.  Range is about an hours drive north of Tahoe
or 1 - 2 south.  Thanks for any help or directing me to sources.

Determined Mary