Re: [pct-l] Geritol

>Just how do they get them in the saddle, by lifting their wallet?  I
know for
>a fact, once I'm too old or able to walk, I won't be riding on no horse!
   Sly

    Sly, they get the "Geritols" (an affectionate, jokey term, BTW - many
of the packers who use it are _really_ old. Medical professionals use the
term also....) into the saddle by giving them the traditional "leg up" or
by supplying a mounting block. Both of these methods are standard for
geritols/non-geritols alike, especially in "English" riding. I'm
long-legged, and take pride in being able to mount even the tallest horse
unassisted, but sometimes it's kinder to the horse (the girth could
twist) to accept "a leg". Even the finest short-legged riders (jockeys
spring to mind) get-gotten into the saddle - and their wallets are in
great shape <g>
   Don't commit yourself to that last, BTW! I'm acquainted with several
long-time backpackers (one a Sierra Club honcho) who used to say the same
thing, and continued to painfully creep along the trails, even bag peaks,
many years after it was practical or even safe for them to do so. All of
them feared/disliked horses, and were on small fixed incomes,  yet their
desire not to totally give up backcountry travel persuaded them finally
to try the commercial packer route. I believe they're still ashamed that
they have to be "brought" into the Sierra, but the fact that they can
still camp/dayhike in the beloved places of their youth means alot to
them - and you might find yourself in the same position  (with the same
feelings) someday, as might we all...   People who have the good
fortune/genetics to stay fit into their dotage, or don't "need" the
backcountry for their spiritual health,  don't have that dilemma, of
course. Neither do folks like me, who love riding anyway <g>       bj

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]